Monday, January 30, 2012

First Day Back

Hey Wonderful Folks,
      I am just about to wrap up a successful first day back at school, and so far all is well.  It is going to be a busy but enjoyable semester judging from my first three classes today.  I say three because at the last minute this morning I added Intermediate French Conversation which came highly suggested from both French professors and is only a half credit so hypothetically there will be much less work.  However, we do have a 200-300 word essay due in French each week on a topic of our choosing, so I guess I will be getting a lot of practice in!  There are only six people in Conversation class and in French class there are only eight, so basically that means, you absolutely have to keep up which is not such a bad thing.  For French class we have to watch two films and write essays on them at some point during the semester, so I checked out this rather depressing movie about illegal immigrants and following one's conscience despite pressure from your family to do the wrong things (i.e. covering up crimes and human trafficking).  Since yall like depressing movies, I think yall would enjoy it.  La Promesse by the Dardenne brothers.
      My art history class is exactly how I imagined it, but it is going to be much easier than the one last semester!  Since most of the folks in the class are freshmen and sophomores and have never taken an AH class before, he is giving us much more help and doing a bit more spoon feeding of information.  I have already signed up to do the first class presentation because it is over Alberti's Della Pictura which was the main primary source for my research paper last semester.  Thus, I can kill deux oiseaux avec une pierre by getting it out of the way before the real work piles up and by talking about something I already know about.  Some may call it cheating, but I think of it as advanced class preparation.
     In sadder news, two of my friends, Emily and Chelsea, will not be returning this semester due to falling grades.  It is hard to see your friends fail and have to pay the consequences.  I guess it is just further incentive to keep on pushing harder and never stop trying.
     Ticker seems to be enjoying being back and the two plants that I picked up from Hope's, a begonia and a dying fern, have perked up a bit with some water and sunshine, so now my windowsill looks much more vibrant and cheerful with many lovely shades of green to accent the metal bars on the windows.  How poetic.  Well, I must get to bed, Art Fundamentals in the morning and Sociology in the afternoon, so wish me luck!

Love yall and bonne nuit,

Kate


No comments:

Post a Comment