Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Il fait froid.

It appears as though that cold front yesterday has officially set in and it has stayed in the mid 50's all day.  I hope it will stay because lately the weather has been so erratic that I have to walk outside in my PJs every morning just to see if I should layer on with scarves and mittens or wear shorts.  
Today has been quite successful so far.  I've managed to write another page on my research paper which means that I am about 1/4 of the way there.  It is French Week, so last night we held a screening of Le Diner de Cons, the inspiration for the American version Dinner for Schmucks.  While a classic, it was so frustrating that I don't think I could stomach watching it again.  Oddly enough we ended up watching it in another part of the Language House than we usually do, so basically we were a group of mostly Spanish students watching a French movie with subtitles in English in the Japanese commons.  That's college for you!  This evening we are also having a French cooking class put on by Brittnay who actually trained to be a pastry chef in France.  I'm just looking forward to the madeleines and chocolat chaud.  Yum...
I also managed to reach new levels of professional studentship today.  I actually had my art history professor ask to borrow yet another one of my books that I ordered through Inter Library Loan for part of his own research. I see now that being a teacher has its advantages in this symbiotic relationship.  The student does the legwork for the professor's research in exchange for brownie points and extra credit.  This might just work!  
In yet another moment of spontaneous goodness, I have discovered that writing French cuss words on a cardboard replica of the Berlin Wall is oddly liberating.  The German club taped together a colossus of boxes on the North Lawn and then invited everyone to paint and graffiti it with whatever they wanted.  It is actually coming along.  I couldn't think of anything original yet suitable and relevant that I would have painted on the wall had I actually been there so I settled on the old favorite of French profanity.  You sound so worldly and high class when you cuss in another language and people don't get as offended.  I would suggest it.  
Well, I must go back to writing that paper.  
I love yall all and can't wait till Thanksgiving.

xoxo
-Kate

p.s. I so totally got an A on that Latin American Studies test
...just saying
...in case anyone was wondering

1 comment:

Thistlefur said...

Fun! We did all those things at Grace with the Mu Kappa International group at Grace--we even used boxes to make tunnels for people to "escape" East Berlin--but the graffito was the best part. ;)

And yes, you are absolutely correct about the symbiotic relationship and the French profanity--most English cuss words are Anglo-Saxon (your papa and I just had this convo this week) so cussing in French is a step above.

I'd say you have had one accomplished 3/4 of a semester--it must be about time to graduate. ;)

Love u!

Post a Comment