Friday, October 12, 2012

The Lives of Others

      In my little room, hunched over a dictionary and L'Ecole des femmes, it is easy to forget that there are other people in the world who live lives just as busy and important as mine.  However, when I look out my window, I can easily see at least 400 apartments and catch a glimpse at the thousands of people who inhabit those spaces.  For some reason, in the light of day it is hard to imagine that each of these huge buildings contain so many people with full lives and personalities of their own, but at night, when it is dark out, each of their windows are lit up like thousands of little TV screens and you can see into their little worlds.
      I have taken to keeping track of which people partake in which activities, which windows are always dark, the types of curtains in the windows, who leaves their windows open and at what times, who smokes, who has kids, and even the color of the walls.  I keep a mental grid of the windows using a number and letter system which, while perhaps a bit creepy and stalkerish, is a source of constant entertainment.

Building 2
For example:
A9: large flat-screen; L shaped couch; TV constantly on; curtains always open; no activity sighted
G3: typically dark; windows open during day; white curtains; smoker
B5: curtains closed during day/open at night; large TV; watches 20h news and action shows; recliner with back to window; head typically visible above top of chair
N2: dark haired male; window open in evenings; much activity; wood floors?; computer next to window
L2: dark haired female; kitchen; daily activity; one blue curtain
B7: one exposed bulb; no activity sighted; plain walls
W2-3: two children; smoker; living room; much activity all hours; tan furniture

      I could go on, but you get the point.  Somehow taking stock of the lives of others, even in such a distant and calculated manner, makes them seem more real.  I can only imagine that the lady in L2 must be a really good cook and rather hardworking for the amount of times that I have seen her busy in the kitchen.  Perhaps she has a big family, or maybe she lives alone but just likes a good meal, and I worry about B5's metal health for the amount of time that he spends watching TV each day.
      Each evening I make sure and stand by my window with my light on for a bit.  Sometimes I make it interesting by doing jumping jacks, pacing with a book, or randomly opening and closing the curtains.  Just in case someone is watching my window and wondering who lives there, I want to give them something interesting to take note of.
      And one final word of wisdom from your local friendly Parisian spy, lights on = clothes on.  So before you strip down to put your clothes in the washing machine (Building 3-J5), do the neighbor a favor and close the blinds, or they just might blog about it.
Bonne nuit Paris!
-Kate Alice

3 comments:

Papa said...

... and if a young French exchange student were seated next to a cedar tree opposite the creek from us, she would blog today that in A1 the cats come in and out a door that is hardly ever closed; fruit burnt in a pot on the stove; coffee appears to be their new religion; their DVD player and CD players appear broken; the couple obviously is missing their daughter.

Kate Alice said...

The young American exchange student in Building 1 window D2 was just observed missing her parents and wishing she was there to fix their electronics... absolutely riveting!

Lisa said...

Such a great post, Kate! I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one who peers into others windows at night to see what kind of lives they might lead :) How I'd love to come visit and help you track your observations!

Post a Comment